Utility Container

Search Trigger (container)


Mobile Menu Trigger (container)


I know what you’re thinking –   What is open enrollment? and Do I need to do anything for this? 

Open enrollment is a provision in SPSD’s cafeteria plan that allows a short window of time for employees to make changes to their medical insurance, dental insurance, and enroll, re-enroll or stop participation in a flexible spending account without a qualifying event such as birth, divorce, marriage or job change.  This is your chance to make changes to several of your benefits, no life changes necessary

Does this mean you’re expected to do something?  Please take a look at the flow chart entitled “Do I Need to Do Anything for This.” It will ask you a few questions and help you understand if you have some work to do, or can go about your business as normal.

If you find there is some work for you to do during open enrollment, you have three choices on the method to complete your tasks:

Fully on-line.  Use the resources provided on this site to print and fill out the correct documents. Submit the forms to Mary Dinsmore at Central Office via interoffice mail.

         Live. Attend one of eleven group sessions happening around the district during the month of May.

Half and half.  See your school clerk for printed versions of the forms.  Use the web resources to fill out the form(s) and submit to Mary Dinsmore via interoffice mail or during a group session.

Please note there will be no individual meetings available to discuss open enrollment changes. This includes reviewing forms for accuracyIf you do not feel confident filling out your form(s) using the resources provided on the website, please plan to attend a group session to hand-in your forms.  Otherwise, forms may be dropped off or sent through interoffice mail to Central Office attn Mary Dinsmore.

PLEASE pay close attention to the deadlines and instructions for filling forms out completely and properly.  Vendors are cracking down on late and incomplete submissions- several have set tight deadlines for change submissions  - forms that are submitted late or incomplete will not be accepted.  PLEASE DO NOT wait until the last minute if you need to make changes.  If you submit a medical form with no PCP listed or an unsigned dental form on May 28, the changes you want to make will not happen.

Something to Keep in Mind

As an SPSD employee, you are potentially eligible to take your MEA Anthem Health Insurance coverage with you into retirement.  Some employees are also eligible for a discount on premiums.  To qualify, you must meet certain criteria, including membership in the plan for a certain number of years while employed by SPSD.  For more details, see page 11 of the Anthem Retirement booklet. If you would like MEA Anthem Health insurance during your 'golden years' or in the event you collect disability retirement from Maine State Retirement, you may want to consider enrollment on the health insurance during open enrollment. If you have questions about this retirement benefit, plan to attend a group session.