Close Trigger (container)

Utility Container


Mobile Menu Trigger (container)

Work Permits


Minors under 16 years old must obtain a work permit before beginning a job and a new permit every time they begin a new job until they reach 16 years old, even if they work for their parents.  This includes home-schoolers. A minor can have one active permit during the school year and two during the summer.

  In order to apply for a work permit, the minor must be:1.    Enrolled in school.

2.    Not habitually truant or under suspension.

3.    Passing a majority of courses during the current grading period.


 Once the minor has the promise of a job, they must take the following documents to the Superintendent’s Office at 130 Wescott Road.

1.   Proof of age (Birth Certificate or Passport).

2.   A Work Permit Information Request form signed by their school principal or counselor.    Work Permit Information Request (Form can be downloaded here)        (This form is only required when a student will be working during the school year.)

3.   A completed Maine Work Permit Application signed by their parent/guardian.   Maine Work Permit Application (Form can be downloaded here) 


 If the permit is in order, the Department will validate the forms and the Superintendent’s Office will forward one copy of the permit to the student and one to the employer.  The Department of Labor issues permits for specific jobs with specific employers. Permits are not transferable to other jobs or employers. Upon leaving a job, the minor or the employer should return the employer copy of the permit to the Department of Labor so that it can be invalidated.

The minor cannot work until the Department of Labor approves the permit, which can take up to one week.


For more information about the Work Permit program, please visit the Maine Department of Labor site.