Volunteers are again welcome in the South Portland Schools.
To Become a Volunteer
Volunteers must register each year using the Volunteer Application.
Volunteers must attend a District Volunteer Training one time (since 2014). Upcoming Zoom trainings can be found on the Volunteer Training Schedule.
We invite you to browse, and join in, any of the programs and partnerships administered by the department!
At this time we are welcoming volunteers into the South Portland Schools in a very limited capacity helping out with specific pre-approved programs. If you are interested in volunteering, please reach out to Kate Zellers (email@example.com) for more information.
All volunteers and chaperones must complete a one-time, in-person training session as of the 2014-2015 school year. In addition, all volunteers must submit an annual application, and all chaperones must submit to an annual background check. Training sessions are offered on multiple days and times throughout the school year.
- Site-based and school-based mentoring opportunities are available for those who wish to commit to a once-a-week, one-on-one or small group relationship to provide additional support for students
- Host 8th grade students from Mahoney and Memorial Middle Schools for one day to allow them to explore various career fields
- Host South Portland High School seniors for an unpaid internship for academic credit
- Student will spend time at your business to learn about the career field, experience professional collaboration, learn important communication, problem-solving, critical thinking, and other business-related skills
- Work one-on-one or in small groups providing additional academic support to students in any subject area
- School field trips, dances, club and team trips, and other school-sponsored activities
- Work in specific classrooms to provide enrichment and enhancement activities under the direction of professional staff
- Join school-sponsored groups to provide fundraising support, enrichment activities, assist with team and group functions and events
- Participate in policy and program advisory committees
- Participate in the annual South Portland High School/South Portland Cape Elizabeth Community Chamber of Commerce Career Fair
- Introduce sophomores and juniors to various careers, professions, and educational paths to those careers
For more information, or to discuss volunteer/partnership opportunities, please contact: Gretchen McCloy.