Family News Notes
South Portland Schools Family News Notes
Nov. 18, 2017
It has been a busy Saturday for the South Portland Schools! Today I had the opportunity to visit three great events at our schools:
- Brown School had a wonderful turnout for their annual craft fair.
- The FIRST LEGO League Southern Maine Qualifier was held today at South Portland High School. Hosted by our own SPHS Team 58, the event featured 28 teams from across Southern Maine.It was wonderful to see over 300 robotics students in action!
- The Locker Project is hosting a Fine Arts and Crafts Fair at Memorial Middle School Nov. 18 and 19 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. The Locker Project provides food and fresh produce to food insecure South Portland families. While you may have missed the first two events, it is not too late to get to Memorial Middle School Sunday to see wonderful artists and crafts people and support the great work of the Locker Project.
A few notes as we head into Thanksgiving week:
1. Thank you to the approximately one hundred parents and neighbors who attended the Middle School Project Community Meeting on Thursday, Nov. 9 at the SPHS Lecture Hall. At the meeting we sought to inform the community of the progress to date, provide information about the next steps in the process and collect additional input as we move forward.In order to provide information to those unable to attend please find the following documents and links:
- Middle School Project Presentation (PDF) from Nov. 9
- Recording of the presentation by SPC TV
- One page Middle School Project Fact Sheet
- Middle School Project FAQ Sheet
We look forward to keeping you up to date as the project moves forward.
2. “SoPo Unite – All Ages, All In” is a community coalition involving school, city, police, community organizations, businesses, parents and most importantly, students aimed to reduce substance use and abuse among our youth.This federally funded Drug Free Communities coalition puts out regular tips to help folks to support our teens.Click here for this month’s tip.
Many thanks and see you at Memorial on Sunday, Nov. 19 at the Fine Arts and Crafts Fair to benefit the Locker Project!
Ken Kunin, Superintendent of Schools
Family News Notes Archive