The Directors of the Board of Education meet every two weeks. Unless otherwise noted all meetings are held at the South Portland High School Lecture Hall. Please enter the building near the cafeteria.
In the event of a national holiday, meetings are held on Wednesdays.
All meetings are open to the public. Regular meetings allow for an "Audience of Citizens."
Citizens in the audience will be privileged to speak on any educational topic. Such privilege is to be limited to one presentation per citizen of not more than five minutes.Most meetings are recorded and may be viewed online here
Monday, February 12, 2018
SPHS - LECTURE HALL
Call to Order
House, Johnson, Kirk, Matthews, Petit, Perkins, Tipton
Pledge of Allegiance
Report of the Secretary
1. Approval of the minutes from the Regular Meeting held on January 8, 2018.
Report of the Chair
1. Announcement of the next Board of Education Workshop: Monday, February 26, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. in the SPHS Learning Commons.
2. Announcement of the next Regular Meeting of the Board of Education: Monday, March 12, 2018 at 7:00 p.m. in the SPHS Lecture Hall.
3. Announcement of the Budget Workshops: Tuesday, March 20, Thursday, March 22, Tuesday, March 27, and Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. in the SPHS Learning Commons.
Report of the Superintendent
1. Announcements/Recognitions – Mr. Kunin
2. Thornton Heights Lions Vision Screening Program – Ms. Eberle
3. Resignations/Retirements – Mr. Kunin
Anne Bureau, School Psychologist, Brown/Small
Carol Bibeau, G/T, Memorial
Barbara Grant, Grade 1, Small
Susan King, Grade 2, Skillin
Victoria Kundishora, Special Ed., Memorial
4. Report on Enrollment
5. Update on Regionalization – Mr. Kunin
6. Update on State Subsidy – Mr. Kunin
7. Report on New Business Items – Mr. Kunin
Audience of Citizens - Topics on the Agenda
Citizens in the audience will be privileged to speak to a topic on the agenda. Such privilege is to be limited to one presentation per citizen of not more than five minutes.
Report of Committees
1. Report of the Finance Committee – Ms. House/Mr. Perkins
2. Report of the Buildings & Grounds Committee – Mr. Matthews/Ms. Kirk
3. Report of the Policy Committee –Ms. Tipton
(Second Read) GCBDE – Professional Staff Sabbatical Leave
(Second Read) GCOA – Supervision and Evaluation of Professional Staff
4. Report of the Middle School Building Committee - Mr. Matthews
Next meeting of the Committee: Thursday, February 15, 2018 from 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. in the SPHS Learning Commons.
1. Consideration and action to approve the following personnel items:
District Instructional Support Administrator (.5FTE) (1 year only) Sara Helman
Baseball, Head Coach Mike Owens
Baseball, JV Jon DiBiase
Baseball, First Team Steve Stinson
Lacrosse, Boys, Head Coach Tom Fiorini
Lacrosse, Boys, JV Larry DeCesare
Lacrosse, Girls, Head Coach Leslie Dyer
Softball, Head Coach Ralph Aceto
Tennis, Boys, Head Coach Tom Hyland
Tennis, Boys, Assistant Jim Braley
Tennis, Girls, Head Coach Elizabeth Scifres
Tennis, Girls, Assistant Resty Sapuan
Track & Field, Boys, Head Coach David Kahill
Track & Field, Boys, Assistant Bryan Hoy
Track & Field, Girls, Head Coach Karen Reardon
Track & Field, Girls, Assistant Darryl Wilkinson
Baseball, Grade 8 Joe Robinson
Baseball, Grade 7 Connor Hasson
Lacrosse, Boys, Grade 8 Bruce DeCesare
Lacrosse, Girls, Grade 8 Sarah Millington
Lacrosse, Girls, Grade 7 Gabi Michaud
Softball, Grade 8 Paul McLellan
Indoor Track, Head Coach Ryan Tuttle
Track & Field, Assistant Ryan Tuttle
Track & Field, Assistant Stacey Nixon
Track & Field, Head Coach Matt Green
Track & Field, Assistant Vince Mathews
Motion: Second: Vote:
2. Consideration and action to approve the purchase of one (1) Type “D” passenger school bus as specified in the City of South Portland Bid #34-18 which closed on January 26, 2018 from O’Connor Auto Park at a cost of $111,000.
3. Consideration and action to approve policy GCBDE – Professional Staff Sabbatical Leave.
4. Consideration and action to approve policy GCOA – Supervision and Evaluation of Professional Staff.
5. Consideration and action to accept the donations/grants:
- $500 donation to Memorial Middle School from the Beta Chapter Delta Kappa Gamma for Diane Baker’s Grade 8 Math class for cooking lessons featuring the use of fractions.
- $5000 donation to Memorial Middle School from WEX for the 2018-2019 Camp Kieve trip fro Grade 6 students.
- $800 donation to Memorial Middle School from the SPCE Rotary Charitable Fund for Violence Prevention Network programming.
- $1000 donation to the SPHS Outing Club from the Teens to Trails organization for equipment for club trip as well as event fees.
- $1410 donation to the South Portland School Department’s school libraries from Inn By The Sea’s
- “Books for a Booking” promotion. The Inn also donated books with a total value of $159.87.
- $3000 awarded to Skillin Middle School from WinterKids for taking second place in the WinterKids Winter Olympics.
- $500 donation to Skillin Elementary School from Saco Biddeford Savings Institution in support of Skillin’s participation in the WinterKids WinterGames.
- $250 donation to Skillin Elementary School from Coastline Credit Union in support of Skillin’s participation in the WinterKids WinterGames.
- $500 donation to Skillin Elementary School from the South Portland/Cape Elizabeth Community Chamber of Commerce in support of Skillin’s participation in the WinterKids WinterGames.
Audience of Citizens - Open Discussion
Citizens in the audience will be privileged to speak on any educational topic. Such privilege is to be limited to one presentation per citizen of not more than five minutes.
|July 10, 2017||Regular Meeting|
|June 12, 2017||Regular Meeting|
|June 12, 2017||Special Meeting|
|May 8, 2017||Regular Meeting|
|April 10, 2017||Regular Meeting|
|April 10, 2017||Budget Workshop|
|March 30, 2017||Budget Workshop|
|March 28, 2017||Budget Workshop|
|March 23, 2017||Budget Workshop|
|March 21, 2017||Budget Workshop|
|March 13, 2017||Regular Meeting|
|March 6, 2017||Workshop|
|February 27, 2017||Regular Meeting|
|January 23, 2017||State of the Schools|
|January 9, 2017||Regular Meeting|
|December 14, 2016||Regular Meeting|
|December 5, 2016||Inauguration|
|December 5, 2016||Special Meeting|
|November 14, 2016||Regular Meeting|
|November 14, 2016||Workshop|
|October 12, 2016||Regular Meeting|
|September 26, 2016||Workshop|
|September 12, 2016||Regular Meeting|
|August 29, 2016||Regular Meeting|