"Getting the Community into the Classroom and the
Classroom into the Community"
The South Portland School Department's Mission Statement, Enriching Lives Through Quality Learning for All, embraces the belief that community plays an integral role in educating our students. The vision states:
- The aspirations of the community reflect a priority for education by providing for diversity, equity and quality within school programs.
- The community plays a vital, active role in education and advocates for and participates in life-long learning.
- Quality education is a cooperative venture in which children, parents, staff and community share responsibility for providing resources, time and commitment.
It is the belief of the South Portland School Department that by creating strong ties between the community and the schools, everyone benefits. By preparing well our future leaders, we secure the elements that make our society vibrant, productive and stable.
Hundreds of volunteers annually contribute thousands of hours, dollars and resources in a wide variety of ways:
- Helping students in the classrooms
- Chaperoning field trips and dances
- Assisting in the computer labs and libraries
- Supporting booster organizations and parent groups
- Providing clerical assistance in school offices
- Mentoring, tutoring, academic assistance
- Sharing business and professional expertise
There are many ways to be involved. Training, support, and encouragement are happily provided! If you would like more information, please contact AldricMo [at] spsd [dot] org (Molly) or EberleJa [at] spsd [dot] org (Jane). We’d be happy to discuss how you and South Portland's students can benefit from working together!