- Board of Education
- Board Meetings
- Policy Book
- Secondary Schools Facilities Committee
- SPHS Building Committee
- Task Forces
JKD Suspension of Students
SUSPENSION OF STUDENTS
The Board of Education delegates to the principals, to the assistant principals, to the Superintendent of Schools, and to the Assistant Superintendent authority to suspend disobedient and disorderly students for a period not to exceed ten (10) school days. Suspensions longer that 10 days may be imposed by the Board of Education.
Prior to the suspensions, except as hereinafter provided:
1. The student shall be given oral or written notices of the charge(s) against him/her;
2. The student shall be given an explanation of the evidence forming the basis for the charge(s); and
3. The student shall be given an opportunity to present his/her version of the incident.
However, students whose presence poses a continuing danger to persons or property or an ongoing threat of disrupting the instructional process may be immediately removed from school. In such cases, the notice of charges, explanation of evidence, and the student’s opportunity to present his/her version of the incident shall be arranged as soon as practicable after removal of the student from the school.
The student’s parents/guardians shall be notified of the suspension as soon as practicable by telephone (if possible) and by written notice sent by mail. A copy of the notice shall also be sent to the Office of the Superintendent.
Students shall be responsible for any schoolwork missed during their suspension. After re-admittance, they shall be permitted to take tests, quizzes or any other form of evaluation affecting their grades.
Legal Reference: 20-A MRSA§ 1001.9
Cross Reference: JICIA Weapons, Violence and School Safety
JK Student Discipline
JKE Expulsion of Students
JKF Suspension/Expulsion of Students with Disabilities
Adopted: November 13, 1978
Revised: November 9, 1999
Revised: May 2001
Adopted: July 8, 2002
- November 2013 Photos
- SPHS 2013 Construction Update photos - September
- SPHS 2012 Construction Update photos - August 2013
- SPHS 2013 Construction Update photos - March
- SPHS 2013 Construction Update photos - June
- SPHS 2013 Construction Update photos - May
- SPHS 2013 Construction Update photos - April
- SPHS 2012 Construction Update photos - January / February 2013
- SPHS 2012 Construction Update - January / February 2013
- SPHS 2012 Construction Update photos - December 2012