- Board of Education
- Board Meetings
- Policy Book
- Secondary Schools Facilities Committee
- SPHS Building Committee
- Task Forces
JI Honors and Recognitions
HONOR AND RECOGNITION SYSTEM
The Board of Education believes recognition in the South Portland School Department should honor academic and co-curricular accomplishments of South Portland students in addition to motivating and encouraging efforts toward the district’s shared vision of excellence and personal achievement.
The Board policy directs each school to develop a recognition system that exhibits the following characteristics:
· Transparent: clear and unambiguous standards (Content, 21st Century Skills and Habits of Work)
· Indicators of exemplary work
· Honors and encourages student learning styles and interests in and outside of the classroom via multiple, flexible pathways
· Academic recognition is contingent on meeting Habits of Work standards
· Course grades and Habits of Work are calculated at the end of each semester
The South Portland School Department honor and recognition system is based on the adopted criteria and grading system.
Latin Honors and Recognition
Summa Cum Laude (with highest honor): 3.80 and Higher
Magna Cum Laude (with great honor): 3.50 – 3.79
Cum Laude (with honor): 3.00 – 3.49
Recognition is based on course grades and Habits of Work calculated at the end of each grading period.
Adopted: October 15, 2014