The Directors of the Board of Education meet every two weeks. Unless otherwise noted all meetings are held at the South Portland High School Lecture Hall. Please enter the building near the cafeteria.
In the event of a national holiday, meetings are held on Wednesdays.
All meetings are open to the public. Regular meetings allow for an "Audience of Citizens."
Citizens in the audience will be privileged to speak on any educational topic. Such privilege is to be limited to one presentation per citizen of not more than five minutes.Most meetings are recorded and may be viewed online here
Meeting of the Board of Education
November 13, 2017
A G E N D A
Call to Order
Pledge of Allegiance
Report of the Secretary
1. Approval of the minutes from the Regular Meeting held on Wednesday, October 11, 2017.
Report of the Chair
1. Announcement of the next Regular Meeting of the Board of Education: Monday, December 11, 2017 at 7:00 p.m. in the SPHS Lecture Hall.
2. Announcement of the Board of Education Inauguration: Monday, December 4, 2017 at 4:00 p.m. in City Council Chambers.
Report of the Superintendent
1. Announcements/Recognitions – Mr. Kunin
- Southern Maine First Lego League Robotics Qualifier: November 18, 9:00 – 4:00 p.m., SPHS Beal Gym
- SPHS Marching Band receives unprecedented 12th Gold Medal!
2. Retirements – Mr. Kunin
Retirements: Margaret Hawkins, Principal, Brown School
Martha Casey, Special Education, Memorial
Russ Brigham, Director of Building and Grounds
3. Report on Enrollment – Mr. Kunin
4. Update on Regionalization – Mr. Kunin
5. Report on New Business items – Mr. Kunin
Report of Committees
1. Report of the Finance Committee – Ms. House/Mr. Perkins
2. Report of the Buildings & Grounds Committee – Mr. Matthews/Ms. Kirk
3. Report of the Policy Committee – Mr. Callaghan/Ms. Tipton
(First Read) Policy IIAA – Textbook Selection and Adoption
(First Read) Policy IIAB – Supplementary Materials Selection and Adoption
(First Read) Policy IIAC – Library Materials Selection and Adoption
(Second Read) Policy JB – Transgender Students
(Second Read) Policy JB-R – Transgender Student Guidelines
4. Report of the Middle School Building Committee - Mr. Matthews/Ms. Callaghan
Next meeting of the Committee: Thursday, November 16, 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. at SPHS Learning Commons.
1. Consideration and action to approve the following personnel items:
Paisley Richard, Special Education (1 Year Only), Memorial
Indoor Track, Assistant Ryan Tuttle
Indoor Track, Assistant Stacy Nixon
Basketball, Girls Grade 7 Abby Hasson
Indoor Track, Head Coach Matt Green
Indoor Track, Assistant Greg Trefsger
Indoor Track, Assistant Vince Mathews
Swimming, Head Coach Casey Parent
Swimming, Assistant Ryan Green
Swimming, Assistant Kara Ciampi
2. Consideration and action to approve policy JB – Transgender Students.
3. Consideration and action to approve policy JB-R – Transgender Students Guidelines.
4. Consideration and action to authorize a raffle of a truck provided by Pape Chevrolet per the Superintendent’s memo.
5. Consideration and action to accept the donations/grants:
- $500 donation from Pape Chevrolet to the Riot Rack food pantry/clothing closet which is available to
- any SPHS family in need.
6. Consideration and action to authorize the School Board Chair to sign the Memorandum of Agreement with the South Portland Service Employees Association (SPSEA) regarding disputed vacation days.
7. Consideration and action to enter into Executive Session pursuant to 1.MRSA § 405(6) (A) to conduct the Superintendent’s evaluation.
|July 10, 2017||Regular Meeting|
|June 12, 2017||Regular Meeting|
|June 12, 2017||Special Meeting|
|May 8, 2017||Regular Meeting|
|April 10, 2017||Regular Meeting|
|April 10, 2017||Budget Workshop|
|March 30, 2017||Budget Workshop|
|March 28, 2017||Budget Workshop|
|March 23, 2017||Budget Workshop|
|March 21, 2017||Budget Workshop|
|March 13, 2017||Regular Meeting|
|March 6, 2017||Workshop|
|February 27, 2017||Regular Meeting|
|January 23, 2017||State of the Schools|
|January 9, 2017||Regular Meeting|
|December 14, 2016||Regular Meeting|
|December 5, 2016||Inauguration|
|December 5, 2016||Special Meeting|
|November 14, 2016||Regular Meeting|
|November 14, 2016||Workshop|
|October 12, 2016||Regular Meeting|
|September 26, 2016||Workshop|
|September 12, 2016||Regular Meeting|
|August 29, 2016||Regular Meeting|